For just a few hours, a couple times a month, you can give a child the invaluable gift of your friendship. By simply changing his or her perspective of what the world can offer, you can literally start changing his or her life. And sometimes it’s as simple as playing video games, going to a museum, or just hanging out together.
Volunteering is Fun, Big Time!
- 12 months x 4 hours = 48 hours
- In the span of one full year we are asking for what equates to two days of quality time to change the life of a child for the better, forever.
How does Big Brothers Big Sisters help Kasaius?
When Big Brothers Big Sisters works to match a Little with a Big, we take into account the needs, personality, interests, and goals of both the child and the adult volunteer. We introduce the Little and his or her family to the Big slowly and make sure everyone is fully committed to the match before it is made official. Little Brother Kasaius is outgoing and up for anything, so he needed a Big who was creative and had a variety of interests.
Children like Kasaius get the most out of their one-to-one relationship with their Big when the Big, the parent or guardian, and the child talk openly with their Match Support Specialist. Working as part of the team helping the child succeed, the Match Support Specialist can help identify problems, brainstorm solutions, and connect the family with essential services.
When Kasaius’ Big Brother saw the email from BBBS saying that there were spots open in a free acting class, he jumped at the chance to take Kasaius. BBBS affiliates across the country provide activities for Bigs and Littles and also alert Bigs to opportunities in the community. This enables Bigs to get to know other Bigs, who might be experiencing similar things and who might have great suggestions for more new activities.
Screening and Training
Child safety is Big Brothers Big Sisters’ highest priority. To achieve the highest standards possible, we work constantly to review and strengthen our background check systems as new best practices in the industry emerge. We also make sure our Bigs and our staff have the training and resources they need to help Littles on their path to success.
Requirements - Our Littles Deserve the Best
Eligibility Requirements to be a Big
- Big must be 19 years or older
- Big must be a high school graduate of hold a GED
- Big must be able to make a minimum 12-month commitment, meeting 2-4 times per month for a minimum of four hours per month
- Big must have a valid driver's license and current automobile insurance
- Big must meet specific criminal history and automobile driving guidelines