Part of Community-based Mentoring
The Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midlands Latino Mentoring program was established in 2008 after we recognized the need for targeted support for Latino youth. The program is designed to encourage, engage and sustain greater numbers of Latino youth, and recruit volunteers and families to join in.
We provide Latino youth with a caring Big Brother, Big Sister or Big Couple that can enrich their lives culturally, socially and academically, and support them reaching their potential through one-to-one mentoring friendships. We have multiple bilingual staff to cater specifically to Spanish-speaking families to ensure they are properly supported and informed.
Youth accepted into the program are matched with the best possible volunteer, based upon the youth’s interests, volunteer’s interests, parent/guardian(s) preferences, personalities, etc.
- Youth must be 7 - 14 years old
- Parent/Guardian(s) and youth must agree to a 12-month commitment.
- Youth must be willing to participate in the program.
- Youth must be available to meet 2-4 times per month for a minimum of 4 hours per month.
- An in-home interview with the parent/guardian(s) and youth will be completed.
Once a youth is matched with their Big, a Bilingual Match Support Specialist will be in regular contact with the Big, Little and parent/guardian(s) to provide support and feedback. They are dedicated and professionally trained to ensure safety and longevity of the match.