Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midlands and Big Brothers Big Sisters Lincoln Announce Combination for Greater Impact
OMAHA, NE, December 4, 2023 – Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midlands (BBBSM) will officially combine with Big Brothers Big Sisters Lincoln (BBBSL). Effective January 1, 2024, this strategic alliance represents an opportunity for them to leverage their respective strengths, extend their influence, and enhance their collective ability to further their mission of creating and supporting mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth.
"As BBBSM and BBBSL join forces, we're unlocking a new era of impact. Together, we are amplifying the positive influence of mentorship and creating a brighter future for the youth in our communities," says BBBSM President and CEO Nichole Turgeon. "This union enhances our commitment to mentorship and positions us to expand resources, ensuring that families and youth receive the support and opportunities they need to thrive."
· Year-to-date BBBSM has served 508 youth in their Community-Based Mentoring program and 174 students in their MentorU program.
· Year-to-date BBBSL has served 141 youth in their Community-Based Mentoring program.
BBBSL Board Chair Kyle Miller expresses excitement about the potential of this collaboration, anticipating a stronger, more resilient organization that can better serve the Lincoln area. “Our board is enthusiastic about the potential for expanded mentorship opportunities and the positive outcomes we can achieve together for the young lives we are dedicated to supporting."
Goals of the Combination:
· Increased Opportunities for Families: Increase community partners’ resources to support more families.
· Enhanced Program Effectiveness: Combine expertise and resources to improve program impact and employ more staff for recruitment, donor engagement, etc.
· Long-Term Sustainability: Ensure sustainability for both organizations.
· Increased Community Awareness: Raise awareness for volunteerism and financial contributions.
· Increased Impact in Service Areas: Service areas include Douglas, Sarpy, Cass, Saunders, Washington, Lancaster, and Seward counties in Nebraska, and Pottawattamie and Mills counties in Iowa.
In conclusion, the collaboration between BBBSM and BBBSL signifies the commencement of an exciting chapter dedicated to empowering youth and strengthening communities. Both organizations are confident that this partnership, grounded in a shared commitment to mentorship and community, will not only enhance individual lives but also contribute to the vitality of the Omaha and Lincoln metro area.